Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thanksgiving in London

What a better place to give thanks for your freedom, family and privilege than in the nation your ancestors fled from hundreds of years ago! Obviously I would rather be in London than the boring States, but I definitely would've liked to see my family and friends for one of my favorite holidays of the year. I went to my internship that day, and was asked questions such as "So Thanksgiving, is that sort of a big deal?" or "Does everybody in America celebrate it?" While at first I was absolutely repulsed by the fact that people might not actually understand the significance of perhaps one of the greatest days of the year, I had to catch myself. That's simply the problem with Americans, we assume everyone follows our every move and would never question something so important to us, but we must understand that the world does not revolve around us. Besides, there is so much we don't know about them. For example, for a period of time in November, nearly everyone had a small poppy pinned to their lapels, but I just thought it was some goofy British tradition. In fact, it signifies something more important than anything a huge turkey feast could: the men and women that have died in the name of their beloved nation.


On Thanksgiving day, we certainly didn't have the same amazing dishes we'd normally have at my house, but it was a fair trade. I had a delicious butternut squash soup as my first course, followed by the main course: turkey, mashed potatoes, mac n cheese, corn on the cob, cranberry sauce, jalapeno cornbread (I think-it burned my entire mouth), sweet potatoes and veggies; followed by a sub-par, yet still pretty good pumpkin pie (I'm sorry, the British just can't make it the same!). I would have been devastated if I couldn't at least have turkey with a few sides on Turkey Day, so this was a pleasant surprise and completely free-thanks Elon!

I will just come right out with the cliches and say there was so much for me to be thankful for this year. I've been doing well in school in terms of grades (knock on wood), I've had the absolute privilege to be able to live, study and work in the most amazing city in the world, while traveling to various cities in Europe that were culturally and aesthetically magnificent. Living in an entirely alien environment has helped me improve so many aspects of my own life, and I have seen and done things I would have never imagined. Thankful does not even cover it, in fact, it pales in comparison to what I truly feel for the lifestyle I have been so lucky to lead in these past months. I have learned to be content with everything I do, especially while abroad, and I'm so excited to make the most out of these next few weeks before I journey back to the good old U.S.


No comments:

Post a Comment