Monday, November 12, 2012

London Time!



The Painted Hall at the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich
It’s strange to think that I’m more than halfway done with my time in London, and I must say that although I initially panicked thinking of everything I still want to accomplish here, I think of all that I have already done and it all seems much more manageable. I don’t have to do everything, but I will try and I am content knowing that anything I do here will have given me a unique experience. This past week I began my internship at The Children’s Society, helping out with the Media Team on PR, campaigns and doing the remedial tasks you’d expect an intern to do, although they’ve given me a bit more responsibility than I would have thought, which I welcome completely! I have really been enjoying my time there, and the work is challenging, yet manageable. I only hope that I am able to become a vital aspect to the organization, or at least the media department, so I can actually contribute something to a great cause. I’m thrilled to be working at TCS and I can’t wait to see what else I can do there! In extracurricular news, I have been doing a bit of London tourism, finally making it to Westminster Abbey, although I never went inside (does that count?). 


The National Maritime Museum in Greenwich
I also went to both the London Aquarium and the Science Museum, which were informative and fun in their own right. I also went to Greenwich with my class to see the Royal Observatory, National Maritime Museum, the Queen’s House and the Old Royal Naval College. Each was historically and architecturally bewildering, and I couldn’t believe I was in such an important place. However, my favorite part of Greenwich was the Prime Meridian. Although it’s just a simple line in the ground, it represents the separation of the eastern and western hemispheres, and absolute zero longitude. How exciting….to me it is! Greenwich is a gorgeous place, I just hope I can make it to the market soon...yum!

The Queen's House at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich
The Prime Meridian: the establishment of time and longitude!

No comments:

Post a Comment