Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Did You Miss Me? Catching Up


It’s been quite a while since my last post, which has largely been due to the immense amounts of schoolwork I’ve had, as well as just staying busy in London! When I was planning on going abroad, most people told me this would be a laid-back, joke of a semester. I came in confident that I would be able to do well with little effort, but my confidence has been completely demolished. Since there is an internship component to the semester here in London, my teachers have been trying to cram in as many assignments as possible before the short semester ends. While I understand their urgency and of course I do the assignments, it is a bit frustrating knowing that I could be out exploring a foreign country, but instead I’m writing extensive reports and reading countless pages for hours on end. I do believe that everything my teachers assign is enhancing to the London experience, and I hope the workload lightens up a bit so I can be a true tourist!

A view including the London Eye from Parliament-no schoolwork involved!

Last weekend (September 28-29), every single one of my suitemates went out of town except for me! Erin, Liz and Jane were the second group off to Oktoberfest, and Courtney and Allie had to attend a class trip to Stratford-on-Avon, so I was left to my own devices. I filled up my lonely weekend first by helping my professor, Dr. Layne, as she hosted an Elon table at the USA College Day London at Kensington Town Hall. It was basically a huge college fair for Londoners looking to study in the United States. I was surprised to see how many students showed up, more at the volume of knowledge each possessed about American schools. I would never have gone to one of these fairs while searching for colleges simply because I could never imagine experiencing my entire college career that far from home! In any matter, I loved hearing all of the interesting things the students and their families had to say. They were all so eager to listen to what we had to say about our university, and I really enjoyed sharing everything I love about Elon. It definitely made me miss Elon, but I love London so much and I know I have a year-and-a-half left there once I return, so I’m certainly not rushing back! 
Mary Kate and me at College Day (Photo Credit: Dr. Prudence Layne)

No comments:

Post a Comment