Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11th in London


The attacks on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 were unimaginable, terrifying and completely unnecessary. They changed the way we view the world and how we act toward one another. While the intention of these attacks was perhaps to tear us all apart, instead we were brought together. For the past eleven years, there has always been a sense of dread and gloom present on the 11th, and today is no different. In fact, the dread seems magnified. I am in a foreign country, of course, and the lack of emphasis being placed on remembrance has me feeling guilty. Now, obviously I can’t expect foreigners to take time out of their day to remember something that occurred thousands of miles away, but it doesn’t make it any more understandable. In my new class, British Culture & Visual Media, we spoke about the lack of a British “National Day,” noting the significance and recognition of the Fourth of July in the U.S. While several classmates mentioned the fact that it was because it indicated a monumental event and was an obvious choice for a U.S. “National Day,” I believe it has been so successful and has remained this long simply because as Americans, we adore our country and are generally proud of our nationality. There are so many aspects of the U.K. I love, so many things I wish U.S. citizens would adopt, but then again, I could never imagine myself being anything other than a proud American. With this, I thank all of the heroes involved in 9/11 and all of those who fought to maintain our magnificent freedom. God Bless America!  

No comments:

Post a Comment