Wednesday, September 5, 2012

I See London!


Today is the day! After months of mental and physical preparation, I am FINALLY moving to London for the fall semester. I feel that I am missing something, since all of my friends have already departed to their respective schools and most other fall study abroad programs have commenced, but I know this will be well worth the wait. I can’t say I’m excited about leaving my family and friends, both at home and at Elon, behind, but let’s face it, deciding to study in London was perhaps the greatest decision I have made in my short life. I’m anxious to see where I’m living, who will be in my classes and how classes will differ from those at Elon. There is no place I would rather be traveling to at this point in my life, and I am so grateful that I am able to participate in such an amazing program. My outfit is carefully selected and laid on my bed, my clothes and other essentials are packed (tightly!) my passport is in hand ready to be presented to Customs. Again, I am feeling that mix of anxiety and elation, but for some reason it is now largely subdued. Of course these feelings haven’t disappeared, I am moving across an ocean, but I feel that I’m in the right place, comfortable with where I am. I have never had so little concern or hesitation about anything I’ve ever done, so I know this will be the most memorable experience of my life. On an informal note, I find myself ruminating on the most trivial pieces of this trip. Instead of thinking, “What if the airline loses my bags?” or “I hope my flight doesn’t get delayed,” I’m thinking, “How much free food will I get on my flight?” I’m just taking this journey one step at a time, and I am sure London will bring nothing but positivity!   

No comments:

Post a Comment